- The ‘Yo, Is This Racist?’ Month in Racism for May: The Color of Wackness – Grantland
- 20 Summery Strawberry Recipes Recipe Roundup | The Kitchn
- Architizer Blog » The Parking Lot as the Ultimate Sports Venue
"Using just white tape and shopping carts, Rivière creates a series of playing fields, each of which inhabits a single parking space of a Strasbourg parking lot. The fields can be identified by their diagrammatic markings, which Rivière scrawls out in playful linework. There’s a football pitch, a hockey rink, a waterpolo pool, and a pair of tennis and basketball courts, all arrayed in an alternating pattern."
- The Minimum Wage and the Cost of Housing » Sociological Images
"In no state does the minimum wage pay enough to hit the 30%-of-income standard of affordable housing costs. How many hours would a minimum-wage worker need to work per week to make enough that the fair market rent would be about a third of their income? A lot, from a low of 63 hours a week in West Virginia to a high of 175 in Hawaii."
- Make your own Hitler video
I know the "Downfall" meme is old now, but I still like it so this is helpful.
- The awesomely weird art of 1800s baseball photography – io9
"Instead, players would sometimes pose with imperceptibly hung baseballs in portrait studios. [...] More often than not, this trick made the athletes look like telekinetic popinjays with fantastic mustaches."
- Women Who Watch | theScore.com
'“Oh,” but they say, “it’s not you we’re trying to appeal to, it’s not you serious female fans we care about. It’s the casual fans, it’s the girly girls who don’t like sports that we want to reach out to.” I suppose this excuse is meant to be comforting to us, somehow- they’re not calling us superficial, they just chose to use our gender as a code word for superficiality and appeal to the superficial members of our gender instead of us. So silly of us to feel a bit insulted, yes?' <br /><br />This entire article is fanTAStic.
- A Guide to Hipster Anti-Racism | Racialicious
This is a good read, although I think the "hipster" label is somewhat off putting as a lot of what they describe can also be attributed to just being new to anti-racism discussion and how even if you fancy yourself an ally, there are still ways you may be unintentionally marginalizing peple.
- Here Comes Summer: How to Keep Your Cool No Matter How Hot it Gets | Apartment Therapy
- » High School Would Rather Forfeit Championship Baseball Game than Play Against a Girl Bloomer Girls Blog
"Sultzbach’s mother hit the nail on the head, in my opinion, when she first took the story public: 'This is not a contact sport, it shouldn’t be an issue. It wasn’t that they were afraid they were going to hurt or injure her, it’s that a girl’s place is not on a field.' "